Saturday, July 2, 2011

Sleepless, again.

3:20 AM

Another restless night. Went to bed at 1 AM, woke up at 2 AM and 3 AM. Dammit. Now I’m wide awake.

Why? First, the room gets stupidly hot. Even when the rest of the house is (relatively) cool, our room stubbornly remains five degrees warmer and much stuffier. Two fans blowing at top speed somehow fail to generate any real air circulation.

Second, the too-small foam mattress is a total joke. After three weeks, the center has compressed to shape my body. I can now easily feel my pelvis directly on the hardwood floor. The rest of the mattress, meanwhile, remains somewhat firm, so my butt is dipping down in this uncomfortable way and giving me a lovely dose of lower back pain. “Superior foam quality” my ass. I wonder if sleeping directly on the floor – or a thick blanket – would be more comfortable.

This situation drives me crazy. I have never experienced such difficulty falling asleep. I now dread it every night. After my third week here, I have slept through the entire night only once. Four solid hours of sleep a night sounds mighty appealing compared to this bullshit eight hours of restless half-sleep.

No comments: