Thursday, June 16, 2011

Insanity RE: Internet + Workout

10:30 AM

FML.







11:30 AM

FML even more.



10:15 PM

10:15 PM

As evidenced by my outburst earlier in the day, I am constantly vexed by the crawling internet speeds. As one of my fellow interns, Eric, put it, “It sucks to have your balls tied to sucky internet.”

Couldn’t have said it better.

At some point (i.e. not tonight) I’ll go into greater detail about the internship, background information, daily routine, etc.

Tonight I’d like to call attention to a wonderful development in the group: an exercise team.

It began with me finding a room to start my Insanity training routine. If you haven’t heard of it, check it out – it’s pretty, well, insane. A few people dropped in to the workout, having just returned from a run. And so the Insanity group formed.

The group’s cohesion supports each individual in this ridiculous process. We commiserate over the sore calf muscles that yelp with every stair step we take. We joke during the day in anticipation for the workout. We push one another to suck it up and just do the exercise.

One of the interns, Julia, is a former yoga teacher. Extra bonus. Now we’re doing Insanity followed by a restorative yoga routine to cool down and stretch out. Perfect. I am hoping to find time to do some serious full routines with her. She’s familiar with the Ashtanga series and even printed out a series of poses as a guide for those interested. Go people with useful skills!

We’ve fallen into a routine (as established as one can be for only three days in the internship) where we work until about 6 or 6:30pm, then skip upstairs to change and begin the workout routine. Follow this up with a meal, sitting in place for an extra 15-30 minutes because we simply can’t find the motivation to move, and suddenly it’s almost 10pm. A great way to spend the evening in the company of good people. Body feels great (save for the spicy indigestion). I’m taking a picture tomorrow to mark the beginning of the transformation. We’ll see what eight weeks of Insanity can do.

1 comment:

xuberantnoodle said...

That's a pretty fantastic way to end each workday. I'm sure you'll look great at the end of the 8 weeks. I mean, you look great now, but I can elaborate on that more in a private message... There must be something about traveling and motivation with working out. Now that I'm in Costa Rica, I've been working out every day, and I feel great and definitely notice myself more toned. Granted, there is nothing to "use" here, so I lift 2 big rocks as dumbells (and they're different sizes so I do 10-15 reps, switch hands, 10-15 more, haha), and mostly just do a crapload of situps and pushups, but hey exercise is exercise! I think being in a different environment kicks you into gear, makes you more interested in pursuing the things you've known for a while you should pursue.... either way, great to hear from you man, and I'll be reading regularly!
Kevin